Vintage Pinarello Montellos
The Montello was the flagship ride of the Pinarello range
in the 80s. This is shown in the
The Montello ran from 1983 to early 1990s
have created a Facebook Page for Owners >>>
The below page is from the 1985 brochure
The above is an early Montello with the rear brake cable
through the top tube and just a chromed chainstay.
Later the whole rear triangle was chromed as shown in the
below 1989 brochure.
I have read that they offered a "team" or "race"
trim with just a chrome chain stay and decal head tube badge
and also a deluxe trim with chrome rear triangle & brass
headtube badge. Sounds plausable ... who knows ...?
I have seen them with the cable not through the top tube
so I can't see a defintative way to identify a Montello. You
just have to look at all the factors.
All are built using SLX
tubes, if you put your finger up through the BB you can
feel the splines in the seat tube to confirm SLX.
The below page is from the 1989 brochure
Is your bike a Montello?
Many lesser versions have been "upgraded" by over
Typical indiactions of a Montello are:
- Brake cable through top tube, although not all
- Check for SLX ridges in seat tube inner
But the best guide is that there is no bridge between the
chain stays; the BB should look like the below.
- Well the older ones had less chrome, just the chainstay
- The downtube decal gives clues ... examples below ...
- The headtube decal gives clues ... examples below ...
- Rear drop with, 126mm is early 80s, 130mm is 85/86 onwards
- Older versions had Campag dropouts, newer have Pinarello
- Older versions had full chrome forks, newer have a painted fork crown.
The above said I have seen a late head tube decal on a frame
with an early down tube decal ... I am wondering if the guys
at the factory were a bit random about what they used where,
combine that with the personal choice of people restoring
old frames and you have a right old mishmash ...
That said I belive the below to represent the rough chronology
but who knows what Giovanni did after a long Friday lunch?
Centre image above ©David Kiefer, from Indiana, USA