1984 Pinarello Montello - Cromovelato Aqua Blue with Campagnolo 50th Anniversary Groupset
I built this up after doing my red Montello >>>
This time round I was after a bike with original cromovelato finish, full rear triangle in chrome and chromed lugs. It took 3 years of searching to find this one in my size. When I found it on German eBay I ended up having to fly to Berlin to collect it as the seller would not post... anyway it was worth it.
There were a number of challenges on the way and these can be read on the build thread on Retro Bike
I am pleased with the way it has come out and there are a few chosen deviations.
- All the black rubbers on the brakes have been subbed for original white from a C Record Group
- The usual black cable housing for a 50th set has been replaced with NOS C Record housings
- The gold 50th brake nuts have been subbed for Cobalto nuts; but not the standard nuts as they have a very dark green/blue colour; these ones came with the bike and clearly back in the day the owner has changed the colour of the "jewels" in the nuts
- I have used a panto'ed PINARELLO C Record seat post in place of the 50th one; just because I think it looks nicer
- I have used a special NOS 50th
decal over the standard one
- I have used a 50th panto'ed stem which I have repainted in a blue to match the frame
- The gum hoods have been replaced
with NOS white hoods
Build thread on Retro Bike >>>
Work in progress photos >>>
Click any of the below images for a bigger one ....